News From The Past
This is how Harper's Weekly  reported the "Battle of Dranesville" in January 1862

Harpers Weekly
Journal of Civilization
New York, January 11, 1862

The Battle of Dranesville

        We publish on page 20 an illustration of the Battle of Dranesville, from a sketch by an officer who was an eye-witness. The following is the Official dispatch from General M'Call to General Marcy, recounting the facts.

       Ord's brigade, with the First Rifles and Easton's battery, had a brisk affair with four regiments and a battery of the rebels at 12 m. to-day.
       I arrived during the action, and sent for Reynolds, who was left at Difficult Creek. The enemy was defeated, and fled before Reynolds arrived.
       We have found 40 killed of the enemy and 10 wounded on the field. Our loss, 2 killed and 3 wounded. We have taken two caissons, with the harness, the horses having been killed.
       The Rifles behaved finely. Lieutenant-Colonel Kane very slightly wounded, but still in the field. I have collected the dead and wounded, and am about to move back to camp.
                           George A. M'Call, Brig.-Gen. Commanding.

        A Correspondent of the Herald adds the following:
        Meantime General advanced to Thorton's House, near Dranesville, when his command was suddenly fired upon by a force lying in ambush in dense woods adjacent. This was the signal of battle, and a brisk engagement promptly ensued.
        General M'Call, who arrived a few minutes previously took command. In a moment's time Easton's battery was planted alonside the Thorton House, and fired rapidly with terrible effect in the enemy's ambush. Colonel Kane's "Bucktail Riflemen" were placed in advance, and fired upon the enemy wherever they made their appearance. The rebels, who had a battery of six pieces, returned the cannonading, and replied to the rifles with musketry. The firing was kept up some three-quarters of an hour, when the enemy retreated rapidly, the fire of the whole brigade, rifles and battery, being too hot for them.
        Our troops stood up bravely under the sharp volleys of the rebels. Their steadiness was praised by General M'Call and his officers.
        The rebels took the direction of Fairfax Court House, leaving on the field a number of their killed and wounded. Our troops pursued them a short distance, and returned.
        The scene in the woods presented all the horrors of a sanguinary battle-field, and the dead and dying lying strewn in various directions. Forty dead bodies of the rebels were picked up, and fifteen wounded prisoners were taken and placed in Hunter's and other houses in Dranesville.
        General Ord Captured eight wounded prisoners and two caissons with ammunition. In their haste the enemy left behind arms of all descriptions, clothing, etc.
        Their loss is estimated at 150 killed and wounded. Among their killed was Colonel Tom Taylor, of Frankfurt, Kentucky, and commander of the First Kentucky Regiment of rebels. The forces of the enemy consisted of three infantry regiments, First and Eleventh Kentucky, and Tenth Alabama, with a cavalry regiment and a battery, all under command of Colonel John H. Forney, of the Tenth Alabama, Acting Brigadier-General. The dead rebels were left on the field.
        The loss on our side was six killed and eight wounded, most of whom belonged to the Bucktails. Colonel Kane received a slight wound.